Instructions for Wearing a Retainer
- Try to wear your retainer all of the time except for when you are eating. Your doctor may give you orders to cease using your retainer, and this is the only time where you should take a break from wearing it.
- When you do not have your retainer and make sure that it always goes in its storage box so that you don’t lose it. Retainers are regularly lost normally at meal times and in restaurants and school cafeterias.
- Make sure to regularly clean your retainer or it will spawn quite a lot of bacteria. Never clean your retainer using hot water but use warm water instead. You can clean your retainer much as you would clean your teeth using toothpaste and the warm water to brush your retainer with your toothbrush. You can use special cleaners on your retainer but you should still continue to brush your retainer as this will work to get rid of any odors and remove plaque and bacteria from the retainer which can cause oral health problems.
- If you have pets in the house is always a good idea to store your retainer in its case and far away from the reach of pets. Pets will sometimes confuse them for bones or toys and chew on them.
- Always be cautious with your retainer. It is possible to break a retainer as well as lose it. Make sure you know where your retainer is and try not to handle it roughly or leave it out of its storage container. If you ever break your retainer or lose it make sure to call our offices immediately so that we can repair or replace your retainer.
- You will need to practice learning how to speak with your retainer in. When people first get their retainers they may find it a bit uncomfortable to speak, swallow and other regular functions. If you can read out loud or even sing your favorite songs with your retainer in you will be amazed how quickly you can learn how to speak with it in your mouth.
- Never attempt to make any adjustments to your retainer yourself. If your retainer feels uncomfortable or you are worried about something to do with the use of your retainer, you should call in to our office so that we can schedule an adjustment appointment or answer some of your questions.
- Bring your retainer to each appointment that you have scheduled in case we need to make adjustments.
- Replacing your retainer can be very expensive so you should always be cautious when storing it and taking it out. As long as you are careful a retainer can last you for years of use.
- If you ever go swimming and for some contact sports you will want to remove your retainer as well.
- Try to never expose your retainer to heat such as a car dashboard, steaming hot water or coffee, putting it through the dishwasher or keeping it in your pocket.