Braces are made up of five major parts that when combined are very effective for moving the teeth into the desired place to achieve a beautiful smile.
Parts of Braces
1. Ligature -The arch wire is held to each bracket with a ligature, which can be either a tiny elastic or a twisted wire.
2. Archwire – The archwire is tied to all the brackets and creates force to move the teeth into proper alignment.
3. Brackets – are connected to the bands, or directly bonded on the teeth and hold the archwire in place.
4. Metal Band – The band is the cemented ring of metal which wraps around the tooth.
5. Elastic Hooks and Rubber Bands – Elastic hooks are used for the attachment of rubber bands, which help move teeth forward towards the desired final position.